QUEST FOR THE WEST
September 6, 2013
"Winter Splendor" 36x48 oil, will be featured in the North Light book,
"Art Journey America: Landscapes"
Michael Godfrey is a representational landscape artist whose work hangs in many private and corporate collections. Born in Germany in l958 and raised in North Carolina, he earned a BFA in Fine Arts and began his painting career in oils and watercolors. He spends hours field sketching and photographing, preparing for a well thought out painting.
Typically, he starts a major work using small oil studies done on location. These field studies provide color accuracy and photographs provide special details. Godfrey composes his paintings from on site sketches in the field and photographic references. In studio, work progresses in successive layers of paint and light is orchestrated to create a painting that appeals to his internal sense of order.
A landscape artist has to have knowledge of many disciplines (geology, chemistry, physics, architecture), to understand the world in which they are trying to create. An artist must observe with the idea that what is observed must be interpreted and distilled. For a landscape artist, it is just as important what is not included in a work as what is eventually laid down. I ask myself, "what is the dominant truth - is it color, shape of land forms, or time of day". I try to understand what I am seeing, so that the final work will capture the visual emotion.
• 2010 Best in ShowAmerican Art Invitational-Denver Colorado
• 2010 Best in Show - Rocky Mountain Plein Air Painters
• 2007 Eiteljorg Museum Quest for the West Palette Award
• 1998 Bronze Medal - Yellowstone Purchase Award
• 1996 Landscape Award - Arts for the Parks
• Booth Museum of Western Art 2008
• Qwest for the West Invitational 2007
• Jackson Hole Art Auction 2007
• Altermann Art Auction 2006
• Sea to Shining Sea Invitational 2004
• Peppertree Invitational 1995-2008
• Arts for the Parks Top 100 - 90, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96
• Gene Autry Museum - American Western Art Show 1995
• CM Russell Auction 2005-2009
• National Wildlife Museum Miniatures Show 1998-2010
Art from the Parks ; From Sea to Shining Sea
• Southwest Art, feature article December, 2010
• Art of the West, feature article May/June, 2010
• Western Art Collector - February 2008, pgs 159,160, &164
• Western Art Collector - November 2007, pgs 170, 174
• American Art Collector - April 2006, pgs 214, 215
• American Artist - September 1998, Cover story
HIGHLANDS ART GALLER-NJ
HUEY'S FINE ART-NM
Southwest Art Magazine, feature article December, 2010
Art of the west PDF